Friday, January 6, 2012

I feel Ancestral

We all have problems that we need to resolve...so how do we resolve them not only correctly, but also righteously?  I think about my future in filmmaking as well as my own creations in the past and I feel that I have my fair share of moments that I am going to encounter.



Of the scenarios that I plan to face are some that I am already familiar with, my favorite being the producer-as-boss scenario.  I find this to be a dangerous, yet important scenario that any up-and-coming filmmaker needs to prepare for: that no matter how good you can make something look, the producer will never just say "This is perfect...lets finalize this and produce!"



Oh how I wish.



Really, anything I create is generally scrutinized to the producer's wants and desires.  It is never EXACTLY what they want, but rather something close that could only achieve their own dream if they make it themselves.  What makes this scenario so tense is my own input - If it goes against their wishes, they could become aggressive, apprehensive and even boot me off of the project.  I know this because it's almost happened before to me.  It's tough - we sometimes are told to scrap the whole project and start from scratch, but no matter how we feel, we have to nod and go back to work. 



It reminds me of a time when I had finished a project for a corporation, and the night before their large congregation, they asked me to make more changes and produce a new project.  I had to take my aggression out on the old DVD I had given them, but at the same time I used my night to recreate their vision and give them a work that made some of the people cry in the audience.



I anticipate more than this - I'm in a field where anything can happen at any time, and if I pull my camera out at the right time I can have a shot similar to Stanley Forman's Pulitzer Prize photograph.  I can easily find myself in a situation where I have footage or something important, whether creatively or non-fictionally, and be given the choice - run it or hide it.



I believe I have a huge set of ethics and decisions prepared for these situations not just from course work, but also from personal experience.  In my undergraduate studies I had not only taken basic classes on philosophy, but also on ethical theory.  I am familiar with works like Plato's Republic, John Stuart Mill's Utilitarianism, Nichomachean Ethics by Aristotle, as well as the Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Morals by Immanual Kant.



I wouldn't know many questions I would ask in class, mostly because I'm not sure I am faced with many situations in my current juncture in life.  What I would want to learn more about is the ethical relationships between boss and employee.  I feel that I have had my strongest situations revolving around this relationship, as I have always been close to a supervisor, whether it be professionally or as a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment